Search This Blog

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chance & Free Will



I had the glorious pleasure of walking through Central Park yesterday with one of my best friends, Josh. I have the pleasure, in general, of knowing him.

It's interesting to think about how we meet the people in our life. And how sometimes, it's hard to believe that we've met at all. I met Josh during the few weeks he worked at Stumptown. As coworkers, we became friends instantly, and I am so grateful for this. I'm so relieved that our lives crossed paths.

I think chance plays a larger role in our lives than I have given credit for. I am a firm believer in free will, creating your own path in life, and of course, evolution. I believe these three things go together. Chance is a whole other entity.

I suppose chance is the relationship of my free will with the free will of another.

The more I think about it...the more I realize that my very existence is based on chance. I have a sister Shannon, and was born on July 7, 1981...by chance. By the free will of my mother and father. It could have gone any other way, but here I am.

Deb, Shan and Kristen

This concept relates to my post about Life Meaning. Is it possible that the simplicity of chance gives us a reason to want to live and enjoy life?

As free will is my most powerful asset, I have recognized the strength of chance and will continue to be in awe of the unknown, and explore this new vision of life meaning.


No comments: