Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

It All Seems Limitless.



There is a parallel universe that I wish to visit soon. It is happening right now, and I'm missing it.

It has a soft surf grazing cold, wet sand. Tiny hermit crabs are tucked under rocks. Birds are swaying in the temperate air. The salty surface of the Pacific Ocean is a mirror to the cloud-covered sky.

What does it sound like? Is it low tide?

There is a local inscription that reminds of this parallel world. It can be found at Lakeview Cemetery, where Brandon Lee is buried:

"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless."

I thought about this wisdom recently while on a rooftop with friends. As the sun was setting, I looked around at all the familiar faces and asked myself how many more times would I watch the sunset with my loved-ones? I looked at their eyes and the way the changing light played on their faces. I felt overwhelmed with appreciation and respect for that moment.

It's important to accept that life is not limitless. Because in this understanding, everything seems so much more significant. Even the little things.

So I guess the moral of the story is to unify your favorite parallel world with the one you are living, more often, if not all the time.

*Above Photo: I snapped the above image from a beach in Bellingham, overlooking the San Juan Islands and Canada. This was over four years ago. I have never been back.

No comments: