Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Layers

Ryan came over last night for a glass of wine and friendship session. He gets mad when I smoke, but when I'm up late, that often means I wake up with ashtray mouth. It was one of those mornings.

I hit the alarm clock three times, finally rising with ten minutes to spare. I hopped on my bike to work. My body felt tired, but worth every moment of this long-weekend, bringing in fall. The air was cold. I could feel it rushing past my face and fingertips.

My mind was wondering around some talks we'd had. Bouncing around theories on death, relationships, music, love, art, life-choices and what it means to be a good friend.

It was interesting to hear his thoughts on these things...but even more interesting to begin to see all of his layers unraveling. The more we talked, the more I could peel them away. By sharing his stories with me, he demonstrated a trust and care that is unique to find. It's a really cool thing to have a friend willing to speak so candidly.

My bike ride felt short. Deep in thought, and appreciation for the lack of rain, I'd gotten to work twenty minutes early.

I love this time of year. Or any changing season, really. I have a special fondness for coming out of long, warm days, and move forward into the brisk, calm days of fall. All I wish to do is curl up with a good book, or good friend and explore the layers that make me who I am, and enjoy the depth of others.

No comments: